Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ethiopia - 1st Trip - Day 3

Our day started early because we had to meet Almaz at HH to fill out some paperwork for the embassy, pay the fees for Eva's visa documents, and to go over what will happen at Court. We tried to say hello to Eva (the babies were still in the courtyard when we arrived) but she just cried, so we left her alone and went to our meeting. After our meeting, we went to see Eva, but she was already taking a nap,wrapped up in the crocheted blanket that I made for her and snuggled up next to her puppy huggybuddy stuffed animal.

Having been at HH for a few days at this point, we (us & the other families) realized that we hadn't been anywhere else in HH other than our kids' room since we got here, so Almaz took us on a tour. Hannah's Hope consists of 3 buildings on the same property. So colorful and beautiful!

Famous black gates (seen from the inside)





These stairs lead to the babies' rooms













Front office where Almaz & her amazing staff work their miracles!







When we were finished with the tour, John & I went to see the Special Mothers and ask them questions about Eva's routine, products that she used to bathe her, lotion her, etc., what kind of formula, how much, how often, what kinds of food she likes and what her favorite toys are.

Soon after Danny (our HH driver for the day) told us that we had to go but that we would be back for a 2nd visit. We didn't expect that...what a nice surprise!!

We got back to HH just 90 minutes later, at 2:30 pm, and we went straight to Eva's room; however she wasn't in her crib or the room, so John and I started loving on the other babies and playing with them.  We had already decided that we were going to play with the other babies and let Eva warm up to us that way. A couple of minutes later I was led into the bathroom that connects with the room where one of the Special Mothers was giving Eva a bath. Eva's back was to me but the second that she heard my voice she started crying and thrashing to get out of the baby tub. It took both of us to keep her slippery body from crawling out. She is so strong-willed...what a fighter! :-) I was able to wash her hair and help rinse her off. I wrapped her up in a towel and took her to the changing table where I dried her off, lotioned & diapered her and put her pjs on. She squirmed and cried, cried, cried the whole time, almost falling off the changing table.

I was able to settle her down and the Special Mothers let me feed her. She did really well for a while (as long as she didn't have to look at me) and then she heard her Special Mother and started bending her neck around, spitting out her food. I got her to settle down again and just held her in my lap and rocked her. She nuzzled her head in my chest and every once in a while she would whimper or cry. At one point, I had a couple of tissues in my hand as I was wiping tears and snot. She scooted on the floor in between my legs and started playing with the tissue, tearing it up and putting the pieces in my hand. I could have done that for the rest of the day. I was sooo excited. John didn't see a whole lot because he was really focusing on the other babies in the room. He was playing with them and really engaging them. That really got Eva to warm up to him and just before we left she started rolling a ball to him.  She was crying as she did it, but at least she did it.

We made so much progress today. I was so happy and amazed. I had resigned myself to the fact that Eva would cry and reject us the entire visit, but God, once again, gave me the desire of my heart. Today was a good day!

Thank you Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love all the pictures! Gives me a better idea of what HH looks like - thanks! And I love the Bible verse painted on the wall.

    I'm so glad that you and Eva made progress! She'll be in your arms again soon.....

    ReplyDelete