Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Visit to Tampa Zoo

For the first 2 weeks in November, we were in Tampa, Florida. John was enrolled in a 2-week course that allowed him to make his police officer certification in Ohio equivalent to Florida. After his 2 weeks of 6 days per week, 10-hour days, he received a certificate and was then able to take his Florida State Exam, WHICH HE PASSED!!!

We stayed in a really cool resort/suite that had a living room, full kitchen, and balcony with a gorgeous view of Tampa Bay. For the first several days, Eva and I did not venture out much. We did one day of major grocery shopping, but other than that, we stayed in and got used to our new normal. 

By the end of the first week, we were both ready to do something fun. 

Enter the Tampa Zoo!!

We got there late morning and Eva had already given me her list of animals that she wanted to see. Some she got to see, some she didn't get to see. She was able to ride a couple of the kiddie rides - of course, ride the carousel - and had a few really great experiences :-)

The first one was with the giraffes. Tampa Zoo has an interactive experience that gives you the opportunity to feed the giraffes. They were so beautiful. I was more excited than Eva at the chance to see her feed them. Our first attempt was a bit of a failure. Our giraffe walked away from us and wouldn't come back. So we got some lunch, had another fun experience (I'll talk about that in a minute), got some ice cream, rode the carousel again, and then went back for another try.  
 
Fortunately, a different giraffe was ready for some attention. Eva and I ran up to the platform and bought a bunch of lettuce. I don't know why I keep thinking that Eva will somehow be freaked out by these opportunities - the girl has NO FEAR!!! She took the lettuce from me, walked up to the fence, stuck her arm out and fed the giraffe. She didn't even flinch when the giraffe's tongue licked her hand. MY GIRL :-) 
I was so tickled that I bought another bunch of lettuce and let her do it again. What an awesome experience!!

  

The second experience was in between the giraffe feedings. After lunch, we made our way to the kiddie part of the zoo, where the small rides and petting zoo are. After spending some time petting some goats, Eva informed me that she really wished she could have a "horsey ride". OK. Time for me to make another wish come true :-) Again, I thought that once she got up-close-and-personal with the pony, all bets would be off and she wouldn't want to ride it. I could not have been more WRONG! She got her little helmet on, climbed on, held the head of the saddle and talked with the girl leading the pony the entire time. My girl - The Little Equestrian.














Our last cool experience came after our giraffe feedings. Still on my little high from watching Eva feed the giraffes, we started walking deeper into the zoo when I saw this:



My thought "Ooooo, I would love to see Eva ride that!!" Little did I know I would HAVE to get on that thing and RIDE IT WITH HER. Oh boy!!! Here we go. 


It wasn't that bad. It was different......interesting. Eva liked the ride and right after it was over, wanted to ride it again :-) It was a very full day. Eva got to do some of her favorite things, got to experience some new things, see some new animals, and have an all-around awesome day. So thankful that I get to be there when these days happen!!


No comments:

Post a Comment